Architect John Byron Hackler III, FAIA, passed away in his sleep the morning of February 15, 2018 at the age of 92.
Born to John B and Josephine Walters Hackler in Pekin, IL, he led a normal childhood as a bright, popular adolescent who matriculated at age 17. He attended Carnegie Institute of Technology (Carnegie-Mellon University) for a year before joining the Army Air Corps and serving in the 873rd Bomb Squadron.
As part of a B-29 crew out of the Marianas, he flew 35 combat missions over Japan. His crew was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, and Air Medal with Six Oak Leaf cluster. Upon his return from war, he re-entered Carnegie Tech in Architecture. It was here that he met Music major, Patricia Baum. They were married in 1948 in Mt Lebanon, PA. Upon graduation, the couple moved to Central Illinois where they raised their family.
Jack was a founding partner in Foley/Hackler/Thompson/Lee, later John Hackler & Company. As the company’s design partner, the firm was the recipient of over 100 design awards. Jack was active in civic affairs and served on several bank, civil rights, and corporate boards including the Peoria Housing Authority, the Historical Society and Upgrade A Non-Profit Housing Corporation.
He was elected to the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects and was also an adjunct Professor of Architecture at University of Illinois. When he retired he moved to Charlotte, NC and where he married Marie Aimee Shook, Asst Mecklenburg County Manager. There he served as Supervising Architect for Carolinas Medical Center.
He was a life long automobile enthusiast and was a member of the Fiat Club of America, Alfa-Romeo Owner’s Club and the Walter Mitty Sports Car Society.
He is survived by his wife, Marie, his sister, Joan (Jody) Lee of Daytona Beach, FL, his children Catherine(Gary)Young of Birmingham, AL, John IV(Karen) of Winter Park, FL and Ann (June) of Goshen, MA; seven grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
Jack will be interred at St Martin’s Episcopal Church, Charlotte, NC in a family ceremony on April 7, 2018. Memorials, in lieu of flowers, may be made in his name to St. Martin’s Episcopal Church for the Preservation of the 1910 building and its grounds.